Thursday, April 24, 2014

JJ's Grill

Just had a gentle reminder how short and precious life is...

So around the old house is a little hood spot called JJ's Grill. Last year during a lazy moment I decided to give them a try because I loathed Captain Hooks. There I meet an Indian Brother by the name of Jude. Jude was an interesting fellow because unlike other Arab/Indian Store restaurant owners in that area, he was actually polite, sometimes too polite, but still polite. I noticed this right away and thanking him for being respectful and not calling me "boss", talking down to kids, just generally not being a jerk. At the time, I was wearing my "Theology requires brains" hoodie and he asked me if I was a Christian. I got nervous wondering if our pleasant conversation was going to get nasty but in fact it didn't. Come to find out Jude was a devout Christian, to be more concise he was an apologetic. I think we chopped it up for like 40 mins that afternoon. I learned that we liked some of the same folk: Tony Evans, Ravi Zacharis, both liked Moody even if we thought they were a bit "crazy". I shared with him my goals to enroll in Seminary during the new year and he from that moment on always called me "Preacher" "Reverand" or "Counselor" no matter how much I tried to stop him, I just would bristle at those titles he kept saying it. For the next couple of months we would chop it up about different Christian topics: Being Saved in a hostile environment, being Christian Parents, the role of fathers etc. I do believe had it not been for the move, I could have seen myself trying to truly be his friend and I like to think he was beginning to see me as such.

Today, having a tired lazy moment I placed the called to JJ's Grill since they delivered to grab me and the Heirs some dinner. Jude didn't answer the phone, another voice did. Rather than explain my order to the new person I asked for Jude since he knew it by heart. I also wanted to surprise him since I didn't get a chance to tell him I was leaving the area. It was his brother who answered the phone and he shared with me that Jude died a couple of weeks ago from a heart attack at the age of 42. I offered my condolences ordered my food, one time for the road. Before we ended the call I shared how his brother was an encouragement and a breathe of fresh air and asked he continue the policy of respecting the community. He said he would.

I had been meaning for the past month to swing by the restaurant on my way home to check in, let him know how school was and chop it up. Each time I'd put it off because I was tired, had to meet with someone, or just because I was lazy. I never got a chance to tell that Brother in Christ thank you for that encouragement at a time when I felt I had zero encouragement or support. It was one more reminder to stop, slow down, enjoy this journey. All this grinding and moving and hustle hustle hustle for what? I can do this and enjoy life. Visit the people and places I love and still be effective. My man TN is right...(and I hate admitting when he's right cause he gooses me) but it's OK to relax, spend time with loved ones and just chill on this journey. No Seminary work tonight, no GO Fund Me website, just gonna hang with my Heirs and relax. This one off day ain't gonna hurt nobody. To my friend..I pray for your family, esp your two young daughters and wife. I hope you are enjoying paradise. Most importantly Jude...Thank you.

Soli Deo Gloria

In Truth and Transparency
TLT
4-24-2014
6:30pm

1 comment:

Cadi said...

Beautifully written and so true!