Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 MVP

*Author’s Note: I wasn’t going to post this blog for political reasons; I didn’t want to hurt anybody’s feelings or be accused of an agenda or anything. I also wasn’t sure this was the best move in light of some recent events. But then I decided fuck it. What is given and said in love is not taken away in anger. Furthermore I really can’t be concerned with the “press” and their feelings on what I write.

~TLT*


Its that time again where I select the person who was my MVP. This friend stood to and beyond the call of duty and helped me in ways I cant even imagine. This friend proved without a shadow of a doubt their loyalty and their admiration. So what does a MVP get? Honestly whatever they want plus a year of “no-free” requests. In short I can’t tell them no, unless it interferes with my children. They get a gift of their choice. They in effect are treated like an MVP. Some MVP’s like Nickia or Dr. Devin donate their gifts back to my family or waive them. Others expect them, at any rate they’ve earned them.


Usually the MVP award is a slam dunk and easy award to pick. Take Nickia winning it in 2005 or Dan wining in 2006, those were simple and easy picks. Of course every now and again I have a rough choice, like I did in 07, where I had three solid candidates. But even that one doesn’t compare to this one. I mean I needed more help this year than I care to mention, and many people stepped up to make sure I answered the bell each and every time. So let me take this moment to say thank you to a few of them: Latrica, Trina, Dre, Buck, Eric, Jay, Jarmelle, Shannon, Maisha, Applewhite and Ieshia. Thank you. And while some of us aren’t as close as we were, your love and contributions cant be ignored.


Usually I write a blog praising the person, talking bout their highs and lows. But this year I’m do something different. This year I’m going to edit the blog into letter form, to affirm some things and clear up others. A lot has happened in 24hrs and if my MVP and I have reached the end of our season, I felt they should know in totality what they meant.


Family without further adieu I present to you the 2008 MVP:

[CLASSIFIED S3 STATUS OR EMPEROR’S EYES ONLY].


And now, on to the blog/letter.

TLT


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have all the time in the World”~ Louis Armstrong.


Dearest [CLASSIFIED S3 STATUS OR EMPEROR’S EYES ONLY],

I struggled with even to write this blog and announce you as the MVP considering the events of yesterday. I didn’t want it to be seen as a ploy or my actions misread. However, contrary to popular opinion I never hid anything from you. If anything I might not have been concise, I have been honest. So I’m going to put the blog in letter form and pray you understand.


Two years ago, while I was mourning the lost of my father I went to a champagne sip at the frat house and got totally slapped. In the process of being silly I looked across the room and saw a beautiful woman with the most gorgeous eyes I had ever seen. I felt compelled to wink at you. And that’s all I remember. But let you tell it we talked about everything from Jah to Beyonce, to oral sex. Ok I talked about that but the fact is there was a natural connection. I felt comfortable with you. I wasn’t nervous. I knew when we parted company that you were going to be a major player in my life; now in retrospect I would argue that I knew I wanted you to be my queen. As the popular screen saying goes “you had me at hello”. I remember our frustration at not being able to connect, you dealing with the process of life, me dealing with death and we couldn’t find that balance. I remember us keep making baby steps to grow close, only to experience set backs. I remember Borders and our first kiss. I remember to this day how your lips tasted. You did your dance with your child’s father, I did my dance with whomever, but still we managed to find time and grow and build. I remember the sadness when you got back with him to try to work it out, and I remember the joy when we first spoke again and was cordial towards each other. I remember the night we texted and talked, and then went to Borders for Coffee. And I remember the truth that we affirmed: We always wanted each other and both wasted time. And we started on a beautiful journey.


But just because a path is beautiful doesn’t mean it isn’t difficult or has its rough spots; conversely just because something is difficult doesn’t mean it should be abandoned. The Universe was created from chaos, children are created from organized chaos, then how can we assume love can not or will not or should not be created from chaos. If what we said to each other was true then we will walk this path, good days and bad days. If we did not mean it then our time which we had so much of is ended.


Not only were you my lover [CLASSIFIED S3 STATUS OR EMPEROR’S EYES ONLY], you are my friend. You helped me remember how to fly. I lost my fear of being all I could and was able to be the best from me, with no ulterior motives. You inspired me and made me laugh. There was a freedom between us both craved and loved. It was a healthy friendship and I want that to remain as well.


So we have reached a moment of truth, where we have to decide what we want to do. I have made my mind up, and I think you can discern what I want to do. Is this your wish as well?


Take your time and reflect.


Regardless of what you decide, thank you for being my friend, for having my back and for reminding me if only for a moment of my true worth, power, and ability.


You were indeed the fountain of youth.


Congratulations on becoming the MVP queen. It’s yours to do with as you please.


Happy New Year


Straight, No Chaser,

TLT

1-01-2009

3:15pm

No comments: