Monday, January 5, 2009

Ummmm...No.

"The rumors of my retirement are greatly exaggerated*" ~Mark Twain

I know snarky mofo reading this you are probably wondering where in the hell is Terrance's blog. Did he finally keep his word to retire? What happened? Well honestly, as a few nights ago I did retire. Straight, No Chaser has pissed more people off than I care to remember, and in fact played a factor in complicating a second relationship. Of course I haven't counted all the exes, but to offer a scorecard, I've been cussed at, threatened with violence, crank called, told I am hated, had my death plotted, threaten to be sued, dumped and almost dumped.

Straight No Chaser, just didn't seem like it was worth the effort. I weighed the need to speak truth to power and express myself against hurt feelings and the effects of singleness: being lonely.

I weighted that the need to have my voice against being accused of seeking attention.

I weighted the need to hone my skills against being told my blog is political and full of agenda.

And initially those forces won. I walked away. I couldn’t take it. Especially this last round, where I just, I don’t know.

Then I thought about it. One of my gifts, as Uncle Charlie once told me was that I am a truth teller. I speak on shit most people would rather not; I bring conversations to the table that others are afraid too. I don’t hold my tongue and I don’t pull any punches.

I am Straight, No Chaser. Always have been and always will be.

Admittedly, I can be a little more responsible with my lyrical Blade. I could be a tad bit more tactful. But I'm sorry. If I love you, I love you. If I hate you, I hate you. I am not, now and forever, going to hide how I feel to make anybody feel good. I'm Terrance L. Thomas, not Tyler Perry. I don’t write about happy endings and fairy tales. I write about truth, hardships, love and politics. Probably all in the same blog.

So, I've taken a few days off. I've edited a few out of love because those blogs truly rubbed loved ones the wrong way (and I may have been out of line).

I also recently discovered some of my older writings, which I am gonna post because I think they are an interesting journey into my growth and development. The first Zeta blog, the one I wrote on the day of my father’s funeral, my qualifications in a woman, and maybe a goodbye blog to an ex are some of the few that I will post. Again, as I hone my craft I think it is important to give the reader an insight into my journey's: who I am and how I came to be.

Either way, the rumors of my demise are far exaggerated. I'm here, still telling my story and the truth...

at least from my point of view.

Straight, No Chaser
1-5-2008
6:45am

*Author’s Note: This is a play on a quote by Mark Twain which reads “The rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated”. I flipped it to fit the blog. TLT




3 comments:

Ekklektia said...

Welcome back,T.

Lanie said...

Glad to see your posting. I'll add

West Indian Hell Raiser said...

Through the good, bad, and ugliest of time...THIS is why I love you:)