Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Duel of Fates: On Thy Honor


"All you have is your word and your reputation, with it you have an open line....without it you are finished." ~Brother Mouzone.


In her excellent advice for the next man after our breakup, the legendary Soror/Sage Nickjack wrote a piece (which she lent to me a few years later) called "The Lament." In this great piece she offers advice for the next man based on the problems/solutions/quirks we had that lead to our demise. Even though I was the root cause of some of these new rules, I respected them and vowed I would use them in my next serious relationship. As we all know that would occur two years later when I got with my(the) Queen.

Trying to finally get past, as humanly possible the L.S.C. I decide to utilize rule #15 of the Lament, not in an effort to hurt; in fact I started my questions of with the statements I didn't know and my feelings my be wrong. I stressed my questions and what I thought wasn't the gospel.

Indeed the bible says keep knocking and asking and I did. She answered the ultimate question , and it, as I suspected, is one that I may not be able to repair be able to repair with a lot of work, honor and blessings from Jehovah. What is the issue?

The issue at hand is one of integrity.

My integrity. I live and die by it. This is NOT to say I am perfect; I have played political games in my life to advance my agenda or the common good as I saw it. In my younger days I had no qualms about playing both sides against the middle to achieve my end. Yet even when playing my master's of the universe games I would caution the people around me to mind their surroundings and check all sources. Rarely, if ever, did I just do some ruthless shit without some kind of advance notice.

But those were my younger days; in my adult years I speak truth to power, I tell you where I stand and what's up (even if the other party ignores or opts to hear only the comfortable parts); I also let you know that I, in the words of Nickjack, reserve the right to change my mind should the situation warrant it. I have even asked my loved ones to call me out on my behavior should I fall back into old behavior, not out of malice, but out of habits and inculcation.

So when I read her email I truly was taken back to emotional point one, because that was the LAST thing I expected to read. As I read her words, as the tears of frustration flowed from my eyes I could only think "What have I done to give her this impression?"

It's not like I haven't been called a "fake" before; but generally that label was thrown as a guilt trip by women upset I didn't fall for their machinations or reversed myself on where I felt they should be in my life. So in fairness I have heard "Terrance you mislead me" and my typical response is to ask them to show where I made such a promise, in context, and if it was said did they get the memo retracting or correcting such a position. Generally this will end the conversation.

But to read these words from her was like wow. There was a lot more to the email, but in essence I was told I was a phony, a fake, and somebody who misrepresented myself.

I have thought about this for the past couple of days and I was shock. Had I compromised myself so much that I had lost the respect of my loved ones? Was the snarky "anonymous" poster right? This bothered me deeply, I heard and received her hurt and disappointment but still, I had to really pray on this matter. As always Jehovah sent the answer in the form of a Black Studies quote: "The village knows the truth."

I decided I would ask a couple of villagers who served with me on the front lines of the years; who both were active participants during the L.S.C. and casual observers, but with top secret access. I asked these four people willing to accept their voice as a guide post in this matter. Perhaps they saw the same thing she saw, perhaps not. While I have my own take I do believe the community has a voice and insight.

The first elder of my village I asked was Mr. President, my best friend of 20 plus years was I a fake and a phony. When I posed the question he laughed hard, he barely get his response out. He was fair. He was balanced. Am I an ass? Yes. Can I be moody? Yes. Can I be an insecure and at times petty man? Absolutely. But phony would never be a word associated with me. He also went on to say that even with my character flaws there is no other dude he would have on the front lines with him. He also went on to say that part of the problem was serve lack of "over standing". Neither of us, in his opinion really stepped back and gave the other the benefit of the doubt. We expected too much in six months, rather we didn't expect a storm, let alone one of that magnitude to hit. I did somethings in confusion and hurt; she probably did too but at the end of the day the question he raised (and I believe is central) is and should be "do we still love each other and is it worth the fight."

The next village elder I questioned was the mother of my children aka "Babymama." Again I posed the question with a different variance "Did my actions during LSC and afterward leave you with the idea I was phony?" Her face was one for the record books. I would like to point out the Babymama is my harshest rudest critic, someone who really has no qualms in letting me know I suck daily. So her response probably carried more weight than anybody else. She argued along the lines of Mr. President, but also added that a desperate man does desperate things. She pointed out that once that moment passed, she knew the same ole firm stern ass would return. She also added like Mr. President that the assessment offered wasn't fair; it was made without accurate information. If I was phony she pointed out I wouldn't still be loving her (the) Queen, if I was phony I wouldn't be trying to repair the friendships and the problems. She also argued that NOBODY in their right mind reveals all so early in a dynamic and that some things gotta be learned over time. Babymama articulated that my initial presentation is so flawless, that most people take that to be the whole of the man, yet when I am hit with a depression or a challenge and they see the other side of me they might not understand or know how to respond. She pointed out that's/this when you seek information, talk to other loved ones and accept the people we love are multidimensional. She even complimented me; in a snarky way she pointed out even at my worst, I wasn't a phony.

The third elder I asked was my younger Brother Zhang Fei. When I posed the question to him his response was quite blunt "What idiot asked that question?" I told him it wasn't an "idiot" and shared with him the concerns brought to my attention. He nodded and said "you've been fickle, can be fickle. You're a young Mr. Burns. But like him you're not phony." But he ALSO was balanced and pointed out her anger in reactivating Wei Yan, for whatever reason, was justified, he let me know that whether anybody admitted it or not it made me at best look dizzy and at worst very suspect. He let me know that as long as she remained active, no matter how much she "did" or "how much she claims she loves you" that I would forever suffer a credibility problem. He also affirmed though that this assessment was made in error and wondered what factors keep her from truly seeing the truth.

The last person I asked was my good friend Ishamariablanca, who over the past 3 years I have shared some of my deepest thoughts and strongest fear with. In fact, although she was one of the ones I kinda dissed for (the) Queen her response has been dignified and respectful; she never once challenged the throne nor spoke evil of it. She has been very honest in her praise and blunt in her critique of how we both handled the L.S.C. In effect she pointed out that I have (at least that was the goal) tried to find answers, solutions, and evolve during the L.S.C. She stated that if any questions as to how I felt or my motivations can be found in right here in Straight, No Chaser, a real time journal of this period. She pointed out that acted in ways that where morally complex and praise worthy, these same actions were not morally obligatory. Since I wasn't obligated to do certain things, but did because I felt it was the honorable thing to do, my intentions where misread or just plain vilified. From her POV I was a depressed, heartbroken, confused, pussywhupped dude searching for answers, and I shouldn't be penalized for trying everything to keep the woman I love and kingdom we were building from ruin, as long as I wasnt lying, killing, stealing, and other sorts of felonies. She affired to most people, that is not the sign of a phony man, but one who truly was willing to do whatever to make that which he believes in succedd. Like the other three she let it be known that as honorable as it was to grant Wei Yan a file review, my name, reputation, and integrity would always be questioned not because she is a bad person, on the contrary, but rather we did so much evil shit to each other only a sadist would continue in such a mannerof friendship. Since sadist isn't another word associated with me she suggested (like all the rest) I terminate that friendship permanently.

I reflected on each off these comments; not that they re-created my self notions, but rather re-affirmed them. I have said it ad nausea, but the L.S.C. was a defining moment, was a soul breaking moment and I was struggling for answers. But as I stated in the first entry on my depression, this blog has been a real time documentation. I wanted to keep those emotions locked into time and I did just that. I have shared my self reflections. I spoke of my doubt. I spoke of my fear. (Imagine a man with no fear now faced with it.) I spoke on my confusion. I spoke on my rolling emotions. I spoke on why I reactivated Wei Yan, even if the end result was problematic and even if I was gonna get hella bad press. In that same piece I acknowledged I wasn't consistent (in the first sentence mind you). I explained my erratic emotional let downs and where do I go from here. As Ishamariablanca pointed out this blog has been an emotional road map and you can walk away with many thoughts regarding it, but one thing you can not say in truth, honesty, and good conscious is that it is phony, fake, or full of lies. Even if my verbal answers were/are long winded and confusing, my writing is clear. This bible of Terrance (even when I am taking creative liberties) is the truth. It may not be my emotions or feelings today but you have without a doubt answers to what I was feeling or thought in historical context.

It hurts me to no end to know she thinks I was a "faker". It really does kill me. What we had wasn't fake. It was real. It was the best. It was hit by an unexpected perfect storm of doubt, depression, fear, and b.s.

*pause*
And my explusion from Fisk was over a botched cyber protest. None of the other b.s even mattered. FYI, the sister everbody swears I beat up came to defend me at my trial and gave me the money to get home when Fisk put my shit in garbage bags, blankets and sheets, gave me 50 dollars on a 340 dollar trip and threw me in a squad car with hand cuffs. Thank you KSW
TLT
*play*

It can be saved, repair or even rebuilt anew with patience, honesty, discernment, and a bottle of vodka. But with regrets that is not on me. The decision must be made to look at me in proper context, a man who is both a hero and villain, who can handle the best of problems and if overwhelmed with fold or if I will continued to be seen as a fake. Six months was not a LOT of time to try to discern the other's true nature; anything I didn't speak on or didn't talk about was either unimportant or forgotten. Any information and updates were given as I got them. The village can affirm this, I swear to this and Jehovah knows it to be true.

I am many things. I have been many things I will be many things. But fake isn't one of them.
A fake man wouldn't still fight almost 150 days after the fact for a concept they didn't believe is true; for a love they thought wasn't worth it.

Real talk right there

and sorry for the length

The Duel of Fates Rages on....

Straight, No Chaser
TLT
8-20-2009
12:35am

12 comments:

Just Dre said...

Hmmm... The one thing I know about you is that you value you word to the absolute... I also feel that as a skilled and crafty, battle tested scholar you can be just a slick with your words and actions too...

However to consider you "fake" or phony is something that I can't do mainly because, just when I would think you could be placed on a list like that... redemption comes and then you are back order... I have seen it and experienced it...

Also I might add that you never cease to amaze me with the amount of self anaylsis you place into yourself... a person who is fake already knows his status and would never put that much energy into self reflection only if they are about to turn over a new leaf...

So in the end, I don't think you can be classified as that because you do so much other stuff that is readily not acknowledged but should be...

Anonymous said...

Allow me to pose this question BT. Have YOU questioned your integrity, or is all of this NOW because The Queen has made it an isse? I would have to stand in agreement with the others I don't believe you're a fake. However, BT Wei Yan seems to be at the root of all this. I have read and followed these blogs closely and I agree that whoever she is has done some quite outrageous things, but you were willing/did to forgive her, were/did you not? And now that The Queen has called you on this, (I mean its quite clear) you want to offer a retraction and say it was a mistake to "reactive" her? Good God, now if that isn't a contradiction I don't know what is.

I guess if we start questioning your integrity in the context of this blog, then everything that you have said about this wei yan should be retracted? I wish I had a little more insight on this person. But of course all you can seem to write about is the queen so whatevs. I suppose we should question the integrity of Jehovah too? He forgives and we do things not pleasing and disappointing and I'm sure he is hurt that his people can't do right. But, he forgives. So what makes you so much better? As you have documented in your Love Supreme Crisis (listened to the album btw, not really into jazz it was cool though) didn't the queen hurt you as well? So what makes her so much better than anyone else? I'm just making a casual observation here. I have followed your writing every since myspace..and I must say you've come a long way. But you still don't march to the beat of YOUR own drummer. You as for advise and opinions but the become your own. You truly have a LOT more growing to do, BT39.

I will say that sometimes people do things that seem impossible to forgive, I know my husband slept with my neice..has that for impossible to forgive. However, its impossible for me NOT to forgive esp when Jehovah has forgiven and he lives in me, in you, in all of us. I received my grief from his family and mine. I wanted to tear my neice limb from limb. So should my integrity be questioned because I chose to forgive my husband and neice?

However your situation goes BT, I wish you Gods speed. Your blogs are a very interesting topic of debate among my students and friends. I swear when the bool drops I'm going to buy every copy, even yours lol.

Enjoy your evening. I see that the weather is lovely there in chicago.

BlackThought39 said...

@Dre...I would have asked you since we have gone from opposite agendas, ambivalent to brothers but I feared our convo would be a blog of its own.

@Anonymous.
As my dear brother above pointed out I am always doing self introspection making sure that in the words of the Shu Han Emperor Liu Bei "my words and deeds match" Sometimes I am successful other times I fall short. I really don't wanna "justify" my friendships and enemies but you've posed this so damn intellectually I gotta respond.

Ret. Gen Yan is an interesting case study in the cycle of ally, enemy, ally. Wei Yan did help me this time around and as far as I am concerned her getting me to check in does wipe her slate clean or at best zeroes it out. I have said that publicly privately; on my board and off. But three factors lead me to call this a mistake and it is in this order: There are/was somethings we couldn't overcome some issues that we couldn't get past and honestly given the recent (re)stress between us that it is why it was a mistake. The second reason is/was that those close to my life..from BM to my brother all have expressed a concern based off of some recent things (and pass sins) and honestly the strain is more than I care to bear or will bear. In this context, as much as I am appreciative of her help, the needs of the one does not out weight the needs of the many. Lastly, since I am not over (the)Queen and still believe this situation to be salvageable I need to explore that in totality and honestly the two can not co-exist.

I don't believe I said I was above forgiveness and in fact I would agree with your assessment about God. I was recently told we have a God of second third chances, so how can we be one or two and done. I also understand his forgiveness and understanding is perfect, we can try, but will not be able, to match his percentile.

Do not be mislead. Yes (the)Queen and I hurt each other; I am not sure how much of that is intentional and as a consequence of the storm. Therein lies the MAJOR difference. Yan and I somehow always managed to do some shit to each other that would get normal people killed. If there is a hurt from (the) Queen it is I believe her refusal to look at this from a cleaned lens, but rather insist on the paradigm of me as a villian, in spite of the universe showing otherwise.

Therein lies the problem with electronic communication as those who truly know 8 times out of ten my mind is made up; there are the 2 times I seek the advice of the counsel. In fairness during the L.S.C. that became more like 50-50 but still I will hold my own counsel. It's funny Ishamariablanca asked me not to send the now infamous message; she advised me to go to bed and let my hurt disappear with the light. I rejected that. I follow my own path.

Again I agree with you and I hope that was NOT the message taken from "On Thy Honor". Soror/Sage Nickjack always said "One has the right to change their mind, provided they have the proper information". That is the point of this piece. I made decisions with the information I had, I tried to fight light in darkness and I made some good and bad calls. Now, the morning after I reserve the right to make things in order, since I have the correct information and that doesn't invalidate me or my honor.

Lastly,
I appreciate this comment. This is the first NON ass comment you made. Indeed...this proves another point, people can be multifaceted. I saw you as one way, now you show another. Tis not fake, but complex and I'd take complex over simple any day.

Next time you debate on my work, have the author there...it will make it more fun. feel free to email me: terrance.thomas@gmail.com

With warm regards AND due respects
TLT

PS
Thanks for seeing I am not phony. Now if you can see that......

Anonymous said...

Thank you, BT I appreciate the complement:). Now I never said that YOU were above forgiveness. I belive I said that how can you forgive someone and recant it in that same instance. I am quite sure that there are some people in the queens life that are not to fond of you, now how would you feel if they were ready to band her from their lives, do you think shed chose you over them? I'm just saying Mr. BT if this wei yan person (I googled wei yan btw its all foreign to me as I am not into chinese history like that) has helped save you I mean were talking about your life how is it then can you diss her, and why is it that she can't co-exsist with the queen in a previous blog. Black men and depression you cited weiyan for her selflessness to say the right words to get you to check into the hospital. Now where I'm from and how I was raised you don't abandon friends or people who have helped you especially helped in the magnitude she did. I have a friend we have been thru thick and then we have been friends since preschool we've graduated grammar highschool and went to college together. We have been through every motion imaginable. We have been lovers enemies the best of friends and we even went thru a period we didn speak for 3yrs. BUT we both realized that we had been through a lot together losing siblings and grandparents to helping each othr thru terrible breakups. We both decided that we would let nothing or no one come between us again. He even set me up on the blind date that lead me to my husband. I guess I am on your case about this because friendship means the world to me. And if you are willing to work at it. You say that BM? And your brother addressed concerns about wei yan..but isn't the queen the major component for your check in? I've read and my students agree, if had you remained happy with the queen and if there was no break up would you still be recanting and retracting and kicking people out of your life for her satisfaction? While I do believe some of your decisions are based on bettering yourself, but I truly believe that you are making decision to please her its like I told you before you would compromise your entire belief systems morals for the queen. In essence, you would sell your soul to the devil to please her. Now I ask you, is that type of behavior pleasing to Jehovah? I am not being an ass. I'm am just making a casual obervation. I well also be sharing this blog (in its entirety) with a few of my friends who are psychiatrist, and pschologist, I'm very interested in hearing their perspective.

Going to enjoy a heineken

Do enjoy your night.

BlackThought39 said...

A logic bomb. I will say this (as I just got my Batman game) Wei Yan knows what recent sins were committed. My decision is grounded in some recent actions and SUPPORTED by my familia and trying to save the friendship with the queen.

Of course had (the)Queen and I stayed together there would be no need for the introspection, but then again I wouldn't have grown.

Yan's legacy is solid, if not soiled at times. However it is time for us to go our separate ways.

THE QUEEN DID NOT LEAD ME TO BE HOSPITALIZED. I addressed that as well in part two on depression. That perfect storm just finished what my arrogance started.

I cant speak for (the)Queen and I have learned I don't know what I think I would know. But I would hope she wouldn't lose family and close friends over this; I realize the hyperbole says we should but the reality is something different. Removing the queen from the equation, BFL09 and my family have serious issues and that alone warrants a step back, retraction, restart whatever.

You cant use my shit for class and not tell me who you are...am I not allowed to defend myself in an academic setting.

And while you at it, get me a book deal...

TLT

BlackThought39 said...

BTW I aint gonna keep explaining my decision to terminate the General. Some shit aint for Straight, No Chaser and this is one of em.


But I LOVE THE ACADEMIC EXCHANGE.

TLT

Ekklektia said...

I'm not sure what, if anything, I could really add at this point, except that I'm enjoying the academic exchange as well.

End of the Road.. said...

For once, I totally see Anonymous' point. Don't burn any more bridges... definitely explore Wei Yan. She's waiting in the wings and by your own testament has been there when you needed her most whereas (the)Queen was not. (the)Queen seems done with you. Don't make any more concessions to please her. Something tells me it won't work anyway..

BlackThought39 said...

@EOTR

End.of.the.road. Interesting nom de guerre. Very..

Hmmmm...*thinks*

Anonymous isnt arguing for Yan's promotion. She is arguing that I not deep six the friendship and this is validated by her pointing out that by her fighting for her friend it lead to her husband. Notice she asked could they co-exisit.

I also never argued in the context of Wei Yan's promotion. That is a non decision...period. The decision is the termination of the friendship, which I should explore like any decent human...and not just close the book and run off...

*raises eyebrow*
I only know one person who argues this in that context, even after its been proven that isnt the context...to which is should be argued.

I also have said that recent events have (re)-created our toxic dynamic and I wanted out. So again this is a case of selective reading by ________ eyes.

Query: How do you know what (the)Queen is thinking...?


Going back to play Batman...for at least a day...will be back soon.

TLT

EOTR said...

Don't recall saying "promote" her. I said explore her frienship. She seems like the true friend. She's been there when the queen has failed. Seems like if there is a friendship to salvage, just on history alone, even a sometimes sordid one, she should get first dibs. Don't know what (the)Queen is thinking, just an observation based on your blog. Testy, testy.

BlackThought39 said...

@EOTR:

Probably..you had interrupted my Batman time...

I am not ready to say (the)Queen has failed, nor will I subscribe to any theories like that. I do think our complex emotional dynamic makes...shit complex and emotional...

:-)

TLT

Ekklektia said...

@ EOTR, I am and have been one of the few in the 'inner circle' who've advocated for a reevaluation of the Wei Yan case. However, at the beginning and end of it I qualified that advocacy not on the basis that the friendship could and should be restored, but on the basis that a hurt, scorned woman should not be vilified for reacting as such. When BT speaks of a "toxic" relationship, it was not just toxic for him. This woman needs healing, time and space to think and find herself; to find her peace, her center. As long as she is being Wei Yan the friend/enemy/ally/betrayer, she will never be the woman that The Creator placed her here to be. As long as the power dynamic between the two of them continues, neither of them will find the space of healing because of the constant threats to any equilibrium that they attain. Both need to cleanse their karma of the drama that has gone on between them, cut the soul tie, and move on. But it is a choice that must be made between the two of them, and no amount of outside influence can replace much thought, prayer and soul searching on their part.