Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Solider and the Gypsy

"Not The Greatest of Distance
Nor the Longest of Years Can Separate the Two
For They Passed They Test,
The Test of Seven Tears." ~L.S. Thomas

Its funny how I started writing this piece before Valentine's day, but never could find the words to complete it. It's crazy how many times I sat down to finish this tribute, but never got the words to flow.

Perhaps this is because as you once stated so comically and snarkly "You can't write unless you're mad or sad. Maybe I need to quit you so you can write again." Heh Irony. Gotta love Irony. Since that "lovelock down weekend", I've written incessantly. Actually I'm quite tired from all the writing. I welcome my upcoming hiatus from blogging with open arms.

However, before I leave I wanted to complete this task; to let you know why I refuse to yield, why I refuse to get accept the present as future and the past as done.

*sigh* No intellectual coyness. I refuse to give up because you are important not ONLY to me but to my suns, who see you as their mother as well. You are loved. You are a great friend.

In spite of our problems, you have often referred to what we have/had as beautiful. Even at its craziest you laid next to me and said "this shit is real."

I often think back to our first meeting, well what I can remember because of well...you know why and what I do remember is us smiling like crazy, talking about everything under the sun.

I shift to the many times we tried to connect, but nothing. I know I was battling with the challenge of death (my father) and you with the challenge of life (young sun). But we never forgot each other

We came back to the middle.

I remember us sitting in Borders laughing, exchanging one liners, talking, our first kiss. I remember the April we thought we were going to do it then walked away.

I remember your timely arrival at the end of last year, almost at the same time Obama made his ascent. How's that for change?

I look at all these signs and either I'm crazy or this is meant to be. Probably both.

Yes we've had adjustments and challenges. It was so simple but at times we both made it hard. Still...

I refuse to believe after one crazy visit and a week(end) of headaches, that is no longer the truth. I'm sorry. After years of "miscues" "close calls" and false prophets I now have discernment; I now understand the difference and what we had was real. Correction. What we have IS real.

You and I know this.

In your retrospection piece, you outlined a plan of action that was both practical and real. We just lacked morale and patience. It is my hope that during this time we will have gained both, in addition to discernment to make our dream come true. Well also acquisition of that final cord: Jah.

The Solider and The Gypsy represented our strongest qualities. For the longest time I was afraid of this truth within me, I was kinda jealous you embraced yours with such fervor. But it is the truth. I am a warrior, a warrior who fights for his beliefs, his family, his peace. You are a Gypsy, but not in the traditional sense. You seek peace, freedom, positivity while no less fighting for what you believe in.

People reading this will no doubt ask "Well if it was all that what happened?" Well snarky mofo reading this it was no doubt a matter of timing.

The Gypsy tired from other dynamics need to recharge, the Butterfly within needed to rest her wings and catch a moment. But she tried, to fly, tried to soar but.just.could.not.

The Solider, like all soldiers returning home from war, had a hard time adjusting. He lacked discernment when to fight and when to yield. He understood the Art of War, but did not study The Way of Peace. He didn't heed the words found at Proverbs 15:1, nor the words found at James 1:19-20. No, he still conducted himself as if he was on the front lines...which was sad as there was no battle in this environment.

So now we're at a place were both re centered, both are healing and catching our breaths. We are at a place where we can tweak a few things then return to the table.

The Solider once told the gypsy he didn't believe in fairy tales. He told her he only believed in what he saw and could control. But that was a lie; like her he believed in the endings of Love Jones, he craved happily ever after. But how can a solider whose seen only battle confess to dreaming happy dreams? The front lines didn't afford such pleasures often but verily I say to you he did dream.

Two people, Two Hearts, Two Souls, Two Minds hoping to be together until the end of time.

A love story written by the hands of Jah himself. Can the actors learn their lines and remember their parts?

Two people 1 heart, 1 soul 1 mind..can do this.

We have the same objectives. Remember what Malcolm X said about objectives and methodologies.

We have our steps. We have our tasks.

The Solider and The Gypsy. A true representation of Black Love. Every dynamic has these components. And please note the role of Solider and Gypsy is not gender specific.

Every Black Couple...

In the other is a representation of what we want, I want my sense of free spirit back; you the security and stability.

And we both want a happy ending.

So let's do what we have to do, following the steps we've outlined and make it so.

It will be alright, Lauryn Hill didn't lie.

Straight, No Chaser
TLT
4-11-2009
10:25am

1 comment:

Just Ms. J ♥ said...

I.hate.you... you made me cry. Beautiful. That.is.all.