Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Lessons in Self Defense

War pours itself darkness...clouds perception..
By fighting at all, the Jedi lost ~Star Wars Revenge of Sith


One of my favorite books is "Revenge of the Sith", which unlike the movie goes into very specific details on why the Clone Wars were fought and ultimately how the Jedi lost. In the novel you learn that the "Clone Wars" itself was not a climatic action but rather a trap, designed to turn public support against the Jedi, force them into an unnatural position (an army as opposed to a peace keeping force), and lastly cause them to fight a war of aggression on their home turf. As the book so eloquently states by fighting at all the Jedi lost.

"By fighting at all the Jedi Lost". A simple sentence that summed up how the Jedi lost to the Sith, a lesson in that we all can learn. In more realistic terms Sun Tzu would call this fighting on dispersed ground. This means that one should never fight a war on his home turf, or allow the enemy to bring the fight to them. If a general fails to realize this truth, he could very well due to the stress of war, end up fighting his own populace, seeking out an enemy that really doesn't exist which results in lost of public support and ultimately a rebellion or worse.

As important a rule this is, it is easy to get caught up in a fight on dispersed ground. It generally starts as a "defensive" action against an aggressive enemy, or an attempt to put down a rebellion, or trying to stabilize a region. Yet, a leader can not forget that fighting on your home turf drains your resources, makes you paranoid and if the war is not handled correctly you will lose popular support. Once that happens you're gonna have serious problems, esp if your population ends up sympathetic to the opposing force.

When one applies this concept to the paradigm of a relationship, it suddenly makes even more sense. You nor your mate can allow anyone to come into your dynamic or the space of your dynamic and impose their will. They should not be able to lure you out of the safely of your circle to engage them, because if the engagement is not handled perfectly you will end up doing more damage than good. Trust me the one thing you don't is your mate or your relationship support group accuse you (like you're a low level Bush) of waging a war for nefarious reasons. It makes building hard. Trust me.

It took me a minute to figure this out, but after reading a memo from my Queen regarding the handling of Wei Yan's rebellion, I realize that a policy of aggressive confrontation is not and has not been the best one. My populace doesn't want a war, it is not worried about the saber rattling outside the gates, and is quite annoyed the Prime Minister is wasting resources trying to subdue a rebellion that will never be quelled. As crazy as it seems, as much as its against my nature, I think she and the BFL counsel were correct and the best course of action was non action. Lesson learned, personality profile updated and adapted.

When I thought about it on today's morning drive, I see now that by engaging the problem in the manner I did only validated something that wasn't even worth my time. More importantly because I have at times ineptly handled this problem it only made ME look bad. There are more important things that require my attention like oh the Basic Skills Test, My suns, and my union. Anything else really is bullshit.

The late Sima Yi figured this out while facing Zhuge Liang during the fifth northern campaign. Understanding that Zhuge Liang could probably beat him face to face, he simply ignored the problem, let them exhaust their morale and supplies and worked on his defenses.

He was right. Zhuge Liang died of stress. Sima Yi laid a foundation for his family's dynasty.

Everybody who knows me know I LOVE Zhuge Liang, that mofo is an icon to me, but in this regard I am going to follow Sima Yi.

Sun Tzu writes "In dispersed ground do not battle" as the FIRST rule of the nine grounds. I see why not. Failing to head that leads to critical ground and ultimately dying ground.

And when you reach dying ground you have problems...

*raises fan* Withdraw, close the gates and do not engage the enemy.

Now...I gotta test to study for..

Straight, No Chaser.

TLT
4-1-09
9:45am

No comments: